This Better Than Pumpkin Dump Cake is so good that everyone will be begging me for the recipe, just like I did when I first tasted it.
- 1 yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup softened butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 1 29-ounce can of plain pumpkin puree (no pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan or baking dish.
- Combine cake mix (minus the reserved cup), one egg and a stick of butter; mix well. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared pan.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, 3 eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar and milk. Mix well, then pour an even layer on top of the cake mix layer.
- Mix together the reserved cake mix, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of pecans. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over your pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour and check with a toothpick. If the toothpick does not come out clean, return the cake to the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Steven Labinski