Everyone loves chicken and dumplings. With this Chicken Dumpling Casserole recipe, you can get all that comfort food greatness, without all the muss and fuss, anytime you are wanting it!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded*
- 2 cups chicken stock (from boiling the breasts above)
- 1 stick of butter ( 8 Tbsp which equals 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups Bisquick or self-rising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (the herbed cream of chicken soup adds lots more flavor)
- 3 bouillon cubes
- 1/2 t. dried sage
- 1 t. black pepper & salt, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in sauce pan with enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat; place a lid on your pot and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking. Remove chicken from stock (reserve the stock) and allow to cool, then shred the chicken.
- When building the layered casserole, do not mix the layers.
- In 9x13 or larger casserole dish, melt 1 stick of butter. Spread shredded chicken over butter. Sprinkle black pepper and dried sage over this layer. Note: If you want to serve this as a pot pie, add a layer of vegetables now.
- In small bowl, mix milk and Bisquick. Slowly pour over chicken.
- In medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the chicken stock (strained, if needed), chicken granules and soup. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer.
- Bake time varies by oven and the size pan you decide to use, therefore, bake until the top is golden brown- approx. 50-60 minutes.