A lovely piece of flank steak gets a spicy rubdown before sitting in the crock pot for eight hours with onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Never thought to put steak in the crockpot? Well, let me tell you—it can be done!
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- corn tortillas
- avocado slices
- your favorite salsa
for spice rub—
Join my free Group. There are a lot of members who exchange their recipes and cooking tips: Click here
- Mix together all spices in a small bowl. Rub the spices all over your flank steak—be generous here! Then, place your steak at the bottom of your crockpot.
- Cover the steak with the chopped onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Turn heat on LOW and cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove meat from crock pot and shred with a fork. It should be incredibly easy to shred. You can either stick the shredded meat back in the pot for another hour or serve as is.
- To serve, heat your corn tortillas in a skillet on the stove. Spoon some carnitas on a tortilla then top with salsa, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Enjoy with a margarita for best result.
Recipe adapted from eatliverun.com