Hearty, delicious, and good for you. Conveniently vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free. Makes your house smell better than potpourri!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (19 oz) cans or 3 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Combine rice with 2 cups water in a lidded pot (or prepare in rice cooker according to instructions). Cover and bring to a boil Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add peppers, onion, and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, vinegar, bay leaf, oregano, and cumin. Mince a heaping tablespoon of cilantro stems and add those, too. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until stew bubbles.
- Mash some beans with the back of a spoon. Stir in corn and return to a simmer. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Serve over rice garnished with cilantro, salt and pepper, and other garnishes as desired.
You’ll need to adjust the salt depending on how salty your beans start out and what type of broth you use.