Can you think of anything else better on Earth than warm, melty, gooey Gouda Cheese Fondue? I didn’t think so!
- 1 lb. Gouda, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup cornstarch, enough to coat the cheese
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned
- Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- Shot of Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch or Sherry
- ½ sourdough baguette
- ¼ stick butter
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Fresh herbs of choice (basil, oregano, sage, rosemary)
- Smash the garlic cloves and rub inside of heavy saucepan; then discard the garlic.
- Put saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat and add the white wine, scraping with a wooden spoon to dissolve the garlic residue. Toss the Gouda cubes in a small bowl with cornstarch, add the cheese to the saucepan and melt; stir to prevent scorching. When melted, add the tomato, basil, Kirsch or Sherry, nutmeg and Tabasco. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve with crostini.
- Slice sourdough baguette into ¼-inch slices. Melt butter, granulated garlic and herbs, then brush or drizzle on the bread slices. Bake at 350°F for approximately 15-20 minutes, turning over once, until golden brown.
Recipe and Photo: Nugget Market