I can’t believe I’m about to give you this recipe: my precious, beloved Grandma’s cucumber salad recipe.
Today I am sharing another childhood favorite, a summer tradition at my grandparents’ for each and every barbecue – Cucumber Salad! Crisp summer cucumbers and onions thinly sliced, tossed in a simple yummy vinegar, sugar and water dressing.
Cucumber Salad – An old-school classic recipe. Refreshing, cool and crisp, perfect for hot summer days. This is the perfect side dish for any family gathering, picnic, BBQ or potluck – even better, it’s budget-friendly!
Every time my grandpa grilled steaks, burgers or hot dogs in the summer, this was always one of the side dishes. My great-grandma, (Grandma B), loved this salad, hence the name.
Over the years I have changed the recipe a smidgen, adding tomatoes and dill for another layer of flavor. I also like mixing in a little red onion along with a white or Vidalia onion.
- 3 Med. Cucumbers Peeled and Sliced 1/4″
- 1 Med. Onion sliced and separate into rings
- 3 Med. tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1/2 C. Vinegar
- 1/4 C. Sugar or Stevia
- 1 C. water
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- Two tsp.salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- Two large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
- One small onion, sliced thin (use your favorite onion – Vidalia is excellent, sweet onion or white). I like to mix in a little red onion for color; I also love the taste.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (use less or more to your liking)
- salt and pepper to taste
- toss in fresh tomatoes (use your favorite – cherry, plum, fresh from the garden)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried dill or three teaspoons new dill weed
- English cucumbers are great for this salad
- Combine all in a large bowl, toss making sure everything is coated well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs before serving.
- Place sliced cucumbers and onions (tomatoes if you are using them) in a medium-size bowl.
- In a separate medium-size bowl (or large 4 cup measuring cup), mix vinegar, water, and sugar until sugar are dissolved. Pour over veggies. If adding dill, toss in dill and mix well. Cover and place in the fridge for two to three hours before serving. Serve chilled. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- Thanks for stopping by!
Source: Allrecipes.com / sweetlittlebluebird.com