Here is yet another Korean fried chicken recipe that we made recently with a sweet & spicy glaze. We have been yearning for something hot and spicy and we finally got it.
- 24 chicken wings, cut into 3 pieces and tips discarded
- canola oil, for frying (peanut oil if available)
- 2 cloves garlic (or garlic powder)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3, 4 Thai chili peppers, deseeded and finely minced
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1, 2 tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cups cornstarch (1 cup coating, 1 cup for batter)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- sesame seeds (garnish)
Join my free Group. There are a lot of members who exchange their recipes and cooking tips: Click here
- Cut and discard the end tip of each chicken wing. cut remaining pieces in half at the joint to create 2 pieces. Rinse pieces under cold water and set to dry for at least 10 minutes. In a heavy pot such as a dutch oven, pour in canola or peanut oil to a depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium-high for about 15 minutes or until ready for frying.
- In the meantime, combine sauce ingredients of soy, vinegar, sugar, honey, ketchup, sesame oil, Thai chili peppers, and the seasoning in a small sauce pan. Boil until sauce slightly thickens and then set at low heat. Adjust the spiciness/sweetness of the sauce by adding more minced red peppers and/or sugar, continuously tasting for desired result.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup cornstarch and salt and pepper. Individually coat each chicken wing pieces with the cornstarch and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the remaining cornstarch and water together to make a runny, liquidy batter. Add each chicken wing one at a time and coat well. Shake off excess batter and fry the chicken in batches for about 10~13 minutes, or until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Do not overcrowd the pan when frying each batch.
- Flavor the wings with a brush or by tossing them all together in a mixing bowl. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy and eat while hot!