For me, it’s the best cheesecake I’ve ever had. I discovered it in Jim Fobel’s cookbook about 20 years ago, and it’s the one I keep coming back to. It’s creamy, slightly sweet, with a hint of lemon. This cheesecake has become a favorite of family and friends who have been lucky enough to be served this slice of heavenly goodness.
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups (1 pint) fresh cream, room temperature
- 4 packages of 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch hinged mold. Wrap a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil around the bottom and outer sides, crimping and creasing the foil to fit the pan. Will prevent water from seeping into the pot when you put it in the water bath. Place the baking rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 300* Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the crème fraîche until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and creamy. Add it to the egg and sour cream mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest and beat for about 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared springform pan and place in a roasting pan (or other skillets) large enough so that the sides do not touch. Place in the oven and carefully pour in enough hot tap water to reach halfway up the hands of the springform pan.
- Bake for 2 hours, 15 minutes, or until the cake is very lightly colored, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the water bath and carefully remove the foil from the pan. Let stand at room temperature until completely cooled, about 4 hours. Refrigerate, covered, until thoroughly cooled. For best flavor and texture, it is best to refrigerate this cheesecake overnight.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: FoodforaHungrySoul