YUMMMM…we loved this cake…we couldn’t stay away from it…we ate it for dessert and then we ate it for breakfast… This beautiful cake recipe is a 100 year old treasure and a keeper!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour two 8 inch x 2-inch baking pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter, milk, and vanilla. With a hand mixer, beat for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally between the pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then turn cakes out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting. I used my favorite chocolate frosting, the one on the back of the Hersey's cocoa can.
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar)
1/3 cup milk (plus an additional few drops to make a nice consistency)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting
Recipe and Photo courtesy of Foodforahungrysoul