A lady gave my Mother this recipe in 1953 and it has been a family favorite ever since. You can serve it with caramel dunking sauce, with some fresh berries, or just plain by itself. Some things just can’t be improved, and this is one of them.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream together sugar and butter, add the egg yolks one at time; beat well after each addition. Blend in vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream.
- Into a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda. Add sifted dry ingredients to batter; beat well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake at 300° for about 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
Recipe adapted from: TwirlandTaste.com