For something fried and delicious, try this Famous Bloomin’ Onion
- 1/3 C. Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 C. Flour
- 2 tsp. Garlic — minced
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Pepper
- 12 oz. Beer
- 4 Vidalia or Texas Sweet Onion
- 2 C. Flour
- 4 tsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 Cayenne pepper
- Mix seasoned flour ingredients together, and set aside.
- Mix cornstarch, flour, and seasonings until well blended to begin batter. Add beer to batter, mix well.
- Cut about 3/4? off top of onion and peel. Cut into onion 12 to 16 vertical wedges but do not cut through bottom root end.
- Remove about 1? of petals from center of onion. You may want to separate the onion petals slightly, do not do this too much, you will destroy the onion.
- Dip onion in seasoned flour removes excess by shaking. Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter. Dip in batter. Dip in flour mixture again.
- Gently place in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375 to 400 1 1/2 minutes. Turn over, and fry an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core with circular cutter or apple corer. Serve hot with Creamy Chili Sauce.