For me, this taco meatloaf is the best of both worlds; a good hearty meatloaf but with a Mexican touch that I like so much.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or turkey, raw
- 2 slices of fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 package taco seasoning mix, dry
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Cook peppers and onions for 3 minutes over medium heat in a pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the onions and peppers with the turkey, corn and seasoning mix. Spread half of the mixture evenly over the bottom of the loaf pan (about 9″x5″) sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Spread the two slices of non-fat cheese over the mixture (try to keep the slices away from the edges of the pan). Cover evenly with the remaining meat mixture.
- Pour the salsa over the top of the bread. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cover the bread with grated cheese. Return the bread to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Cocinando con Alena