The first time I made this Vegan Death By Chocolate Mousse Cake it made me cry tears of joy, because it is definitely at that level of amazing!
- 1 and ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 package silken or firm tofu (such as 12.3 oz Mori-Nu or Mori-Nu lite)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- scant 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 to 10 oz chocolate chips (a little over 1 and 1/3c or more)
- melted dark chocolate to drizzle on top
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Grease a 9-inch round pan or 8-inch square pan. If you’re planning on removing the cake from the pan, line with parchment paper and grease very well.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar directly in a medium bowl. In a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl, measure and mix together the oil, cold water or coffee, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter as the baking soda and vinegar react. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter and put it in the oven right away. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Puree tofu in a food processor, scraping down the sides as needed, until completely smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, milk, and salt to the mixture, and process until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals in the microwave.
- Add chocolate mixture to tofu in food processor. Pulse mixture until smooth and completely combined, scraping down the sides as needed.