Try the warmth and heartiness of a hot soup. This Winter Minestrone Soup is an easy and quick soup to prepare, and wonderful to enjoy with a loaf of crusty Italian bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch collard greens, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound dry white beans, soaked overnight
- 1 can diced tomatoes, in juice
- ½ lb ditalini pasta
- Grated Locatelli Romano, to finish
Join my free Group. There are a lot of members who exchange their recipes and cooking tips: Click here
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- Add collard greens, basil, and crushed red-pepper. Cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, until collards are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add ditalini pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper; serve with grated Locatelli Romano, if desired.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TheUrbanSpork.com