This easy Zucchini Hummingbird Bread recipe is full of the sweet flavors of the classic southern hummingbird cake in a simple quick bread recipe!
- 1 lb of zucchini, unpeeled (if your zucchini has large, developed seeds, scrape these out first)
- 2 cups flour (10 oz)
- 2/3 cup (about 5 oz) sugar, plus 2 tbsp, separated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp table salt
- ¼ cup Greek-style yogurt
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (you can toast these first if you like)
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained
- ¼ cup raisins (about 2 oz, but use more if you prefer)
Join my free Group. There are a lot of members who exchange their recipes and cooking tips: Click here
- Use a food processor fitted with the shredder attachment to shred the zucchini. Add the 2 tbsp of sugar to the zucchini, then replace the shredder with a blade attachment and pulse to combine. Alternately you can shred the zucchini with a hand grater and toss it with the sugar. Scrape the zucchini mixture into a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, and allow the zucchini to drain for about a half hour. Press to squeeze out excess juices, then scoop the mixture onto paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze to get out as much moisture as you can.
- While the zucchini is draining, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter and flour a loaf pan, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss in the walnuts and raisins. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, eggs, yogurt, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, and drained pineapple.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, just until moistened, then scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, making sure to smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the middle comes out dry. Allow the loaf to cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm, spread with softened butter if desired.